Elrose Brick School
12 Fourth Avenue East, Elrose, Saskatchewan, S0L, Canada
Elrose Brick School
Elrose Public School
Links and documents
1927/01/01 to 1927/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Elrose Brick School is a Municipal Heritage Property located at 12 Fourth Avenue East in the Town of Elrose. The property is a two-storey, brick building constructed in 1927.
The heritage value of the Elrose Brick School lies in its former use as a public building in Elrose. The Elrose Brick School was built in 1927 to replace the original Elrose School, which was destroyed by fire earlier that year. The new school featured modest Georgian Revival elements, which were popular in the design of larger schools during the period. The interior included four large classrooms with two on each storey, and a principal’s office located on the second floor in the tower. The school operated continuously until 1981 when it was closed and turned over to the Elrose Museum. The museum moved to another location in 1997.
Town of Elrose Bylaw 207-83.
The heritage value of the Elrose Brick School lies in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the property’s former use as a public building in Elrose, including its interior layout of classrooms, cloakroom and principal's office, and its Georgian Revival architecture, which includes its pediment, projecting tower, lintelled windows, simple symmetrical design and monumental proportions.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
Function - Category and Type
- Composite School
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 106
Cross-Reference to Collection