Milden Community Museum
Milden District School
Links and documents
1917/01/01 to 1917/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Milden Community Museum is a Municipal Heritage Property located prominently on the northwest corner of Main Street and Saskatchewan Avenue in the Village of Milden. The property features a wood-frame, one-storey former schoolhouse constructed in 1917 and moved into Milden in 1951.
The heritage value of the Milden Community Museum lies in its history as a public building. Originally a one-room schoolhouse, the building was constructed in 1917 as the first school in the Equity School District. Equity School, as it was called, operated as a Grades 1-8 school until 1942 when it was closed. The building remained vacant until 1951 when it was moved to its current location in the Village of Milden. It served Grades 1 and 2 until it was closed again in 1956. In 1969, the Milden Museum Corporation purchased the property and, in 1970, opened it as the Milden Community Museum. The Museum has maintained the property since, making a number of renovations to the building to incorporate a growing number of artifacts and displays.
Village of Milden Bylaw 21-83.
The heritage value of the Milden Community Museum lies in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the property’s history as a public building, such as its typical school house architecture including its distinctive window wall, segmented windows, hip roof, rectangular plan, blackboards, bell dormer with bell, and flag pole.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
Function - Category and Type
- One-Room School
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 276
Cross-Reference to Collection