Home / Accueil

St. Peter's Anglican Church

3600, Newboyne Road, Newboyne, Ontario, K0G, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1984/08/20

front and side view; Rideau Heritage Initiative 2006
St. Peter's Anglican Church
Gable end detail; Rideau Heritage Initiative 2006
St. Peter's Anglican Church
Church overlooking the vault; Rideau Heritage Initiative 2006
St. Peter's Anglican Church

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1873/01/01 to 1889/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/01/09

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

St. Peter's Anglican Church is a sandstone structure built in the Gothic Revival and Picturesque style and is noted to be one of the most elaborate in the Bastard and South Burgess Township. St. Peter's Anglican Church is located at 3600 Newboyne Road in the Village of Newboyne and is situated on a hill overlooking its accompanying vault and cemetery.

The Township of Bastard and South Burgess recognize the heritage values of St. Peter's Anglican Church and Vault in By-Law 607.

Heritage Value

St. Peter's Anglican Church is strategically sited upon a hill overlooking the vault and cemetery. The church stands in the heart of the Newboyne community and served to offer a central place for the community to congregate, as the area predominantly consisted of scattered farming families.

St. Peter's Anglican Church is associated with early families who immigrated to Newboyne during the 1820s. As predominantly Irish families began to settle in Newboyne in the first half of the 19th century, the community saw the erection of their first church in 1852, which would later be replaced with St. Peter's Anglican Church. By 1872, it was decided that in order to accommodate the quickly rising population a new church was to be constructed. In 1873, St. Peter's Anglican Church was erected with its interior completed by 1889. St. Peter's Anglican Church incorporated Gothic Revival style elements as well as the Picturesque style elements into its design and construction. St. Peters' Vault also bears witness to the earliest settlers in the area and reflects the history of Newboyne as a community of Irish immigrants.

Sources: Township of Bastard By-Law No. 606 and 607; Rideau Lakes L.A.C.A.C, Diane Haskins, Heritage Buildings in Bastard and South Burgess Township: My Own Four Walls, Council of Bastard and South Burgess Township (1984).

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of St. Peter's Anglican Church include the:
- sandstone exterior, set in broken courses
- steep gable above the front doorway
- steep gabled roofline
- projecting eaves and verges, the plain fascia, and moulded soffit along the roofline trim
- three dormers on both sides of the main roof and one on either side of the roof above the doorway, with decorative verge boards
- two tall stone chimney-stacks
- Gothic style stained-glass windows with plain slip-sills and capped with stone voussoirs and keystones
- decorative cresting at the peaks of the roof
- stone voussoirs above the main entrance
- front double doors surrounded by an moulded wooden, arched frame
- decorative buttresses along the main building and tower
- location upon a hill, overlooking the vault and cemetery.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Ontario

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date

1984/08/20

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Settlement
Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type

Current

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Historic

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Township of Bastard By-Law No. 606 and 607; Rideau Lakes Township Office Rideau Lakes L.A.C.A.C, "Heritage Map of the Township of Rideau Lakes and Town of Westport" (2005), Rideau Lakes Township Office Diane Haskins, "Heritage Buildings in Bastard and South Burgess Township: My Own Four Walls", Council of Bastard and South Burgess Township (1984), Rideau Lakes Public Library

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

HPON06-0089

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places