Home / Accueil

Knox Presbyterian Church

136 2nd Street, Weyburn, Saskatchewan, S4H, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2003/09/22

Exterior view of Knox Presbyterian Church featuring the square corner tower, 2004.; Government of Saskatchewan, J. Winkel, 2004
Exterior view
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1906/01/01 to 1906/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/03/26

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Knox Presbyterian Church is a Municipal Heritage Property which occupies three urban lots on 2nd Street in the City of Weyburn. Located on landscaped grounds, the property features a 1906 brick, two-and-a-half storey church with a square corner tower and fieldstone foundation.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Knox Presbyterian Church lies in its subdued Gothic Revival architecture. Gothic architectural style is historically associated with Christian churches and is evident in this building in the high-pitched gable roof and arches. The design was influenced by Presbyterian churches of Scotland, illustrating the worshippers desire to continue their religious practices in their new home. Inside, a semi-circular nave framed by two side aisles slopes downward towards the raised chancel, providing congregants with an unobstructed view of the elevated choir loft and pulpit. The church’s size, brick and stone detailing and landscaped grounds make the Knox Presbyterian Church a local landmark.

The heritage value of the Knox Presbyterian Church also resides in its association with Weyburn's Presbyterian community. The Church stands as a testimony to the faith and optimism of the first Presbyterians in the Weyburn area. Constructed in 1906, numerous marriages and funerals, as well as weekly services, have been observed here over the past century. The church continues to serve the local Presbyterian congregation.


City of Weyburn Bylaw No.2003-3013.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the Knox Presbyterian Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements reflecting Gothic Revival architecture, such as the use of brick, the fieldstone foundation, bell tower, arched window openings and labels, high-pitched gable roof, stone trim, fenestration, the parapet atop the tower, the floor layout including the elevated choir loft and pulpit, and the sloping floor;
-those elements reflecting the Church's association with the Presbyterian community, such as the stained glass windows depicting biblical scenes, inscribed interior archway, the sign on the grounds stating the name of the church and the services, the fieldstone fence, landscaped grounds and the building’s orientation on its original lot.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type



Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 2254

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 2264



Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places