Home / Accueil

Landa Residence

202 Avenue E South, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, S7M, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2005/11/28

Landa Residence, 2007; City of Saskatoon, Kathlyn Szalasznyj, 2007
Front view .
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

Landa Residence
Heath Residence

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1911/01/01 to 1913/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/03/26

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Landa Residence is a Municipal Heritage Property located on a single lot in the Riversdale area of Saskatoon with the civic address, 202 Avenue E South. The property features a two-storey stucco and wood frame house built between 1911 and 1913. Designation is limited to the exterior of the building.

Heritage Value

Heritage value of this property resides in its long association with the Landa family, who were the first Jewish settlers in Saskatoon. A carriage maker in Russia, William Landa, opened a blacksmith shop at 222 Avenue C South in 1908 and his family lived above the shop for many years. The family business thrived and evolved into Landa Carriage Works and finally to Landa Auto Body Works, a firm that continues today. In 1921 the home at 202 Avenue E South became the family home of William and Fanny Landa, remaining so for many decades. It represents four Landa generations who have played a key role in Saskatoon’s business, social and religious community. Located near the family business and one block from the Jewish Synagogue, The Landa Residence reflects family cooperation and the value of community roots in the development of Saskatoon.

Heritage value also resides in the Prairie Vernacular architectural style of this property which exhibits original craftsmanship in its steep gabled roofline, front verandah with recessed pilasters and bracketed entrance portico. The upscale features of the home may reflect that one of its earliest occupants was Saskatoon Fire Chief, Thomas E. Heath, 1913-1915. Its setting on a prominent corner location contributes to a sense of place in the Riversdale neighbourhood.

City of Saskatoon Bylaw No. 8452

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of The Landa Residence lies in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect its association with the Landa family, particularly its location and placement in relation to the Landa family business on Avenue C South, and to the old Jewish Synagogue on Avenue F;
-those elements that reflect the Prairie Vernacular architectural style and its pre-World War I construction, including its form and massing; its roof design; its verandah and pilasters; its front entrance portico and brackets; its transomed front entrance; and the location, size and design of its windows;
-those elements that reflect its contribution to a sense of place in the Riversdale community, particularly its original corner location




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

City of Saskatoon Community Services Department Development Services Branch 222 - 3rd Avenue North, Saskatoon SK, S7K 0J5

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 2323



Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places