Links and documents
1887/01/01 to 1888/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Construction of the Former Marysville Hotel, situated at 7 Bridge Street in Fredericton, began in 1887. The three-storey, symmetrically-massed, red brick multi-unit dwelling of Italianate-inspired design is located directly across the street from the former cotton mill, which for many years was the main industry in the former town of Marysville.
The Former Marysville Hotel was designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with the development of the former town of Marysville, now part of the City of Fredericton. Originally a hotel, later a boarding house, and presently an apartment complex, this brick building was erected in 1887. Alexander “Boss” Gibson, a successful entrepreneur, was largely responsible for the industrial development of Marysville; he wanted the town to develop around his modern, state-of-the-art cotton mill in a manner that, he believed, would ensure the contentment of his workforce. The resulting plan was typical of 19th century industrial towns, with working-class employees’ housed in simple but sturdy homes in close proximity to the mill and town amenities.
The historic value of the building lies mainly in its contribution to the continued building boom of Marysville and to Gibson’s evolving town plan. When it was built, the hotel was intended to accommodate 100 occupants, suggesting that Gibson’s company town rapidly expanded after the establishment of the cotton mill. Constructed of the same red brick as the tenement houses and mill, the building is a good example of Italianate-inspired commercial architecture from this period. The hotel originally had living quarters for the manager at the rear, as well as a lounge, kitchen facilities and dining room at the front and right side for tenants’ use. The top floors provided 12 rooms for rent. Its location directly across from the cotton mill and in the heart of the former town contributes to its significance; the arrangement would have been convenient for travellers, transitory employees and others requiring temporary lodging.
The building was purchased, along with the mill and other Gibson holdings, by Canadian Cottons in 1908. The new owners converted the hotel to a boarding house for single and widowed women. The building was again sold in 1954 and has been owned privately since that time.
Source: City of Fredericton, Local Historic Places file, “Former Marysville Hotel”
The character-defining elements associated with the building at 7 Bridge Street include:
- three-storey brick construction, built of locally manufactured materials;
- rectangular massing with symmetrical placement of segmented arch windows on all sides;
- continuous segmented arch hood moulding over all entrances and windows;
- simple stone window sills;
- simply-decorated roofline cornice;
- slightly-pitched lateral gable roof;
- central location, directly across from the former cotton mill;
- continuous use as a multi-unit dwelling.
Local Governments (NB)
Heritage Conservation Act
Local Historic Place (municipal)
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Hotel, Motel or Inn
- Multiple Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Fredericton, Local Historic Places file, "Former Marysville Hotel"
Cross-Reference to Collection
329 Canada Street
Located on the west side of Canada Street, this two-storey brick Italianate home was built during the late 19th century by Alexander “Boss” Gibson. Overlooking the Nashwaak River…
42 Bridge Street
This two-storey brick duplex, located on the south side of Bridge Street, is situated on the hillside behind the former Marysville Cotton Mill. Originally built for Alexander…
6 Downing Street
Situated on the east side of Downing Street between Rice and Elliott streets stands this two-storey, red brick mill-town Italianate tenement house with a five-bay front façade. In…
189 Canada Street
This two-storey brick duplex of Italianate-inspired design overlooking the Nashwaak River, is situated on the southwest side of Marysville in Fredericton. Originally one of the…
8 Downing Street
This two-storey, red-brick mill-town Italianate tenement building, situated on the east side of Downing Street, was completed in 1889. John Kelly, Saint John-based builder,…
14 Downing Street
John Kelly, Saint John builder, constructed a number of brick tenements in the Marysville area of Fredericton known as Brick Hill. This mill-town Italianate, two-storey, red-brick…