Home / Accueil

Profitt Barn

1000 Burlington Road, Rte. 234, Long River, Île-du-Prince-Édouard, C0B, Canada

Reconnu formellement en: 2010/07/14

South elevation; Province of PEI, Faye Pound, 2009
South elevation
West elevation; Province of PEI, Faye Pound, 2009
West elevation
Door detail; Province of PEI, Faye Pound, 2009
Door detail

Autre nom(s)


Liens et documents

Date(s) de construction

Inscrit au répertoire canadien: 2011/07/25

Énoncé d'importance

Description du lieu patrimonial

Profitt Barn is a large 2 1/2 storey gambrel-roofed barn located on the Profitt Farm in the community of Long River.

Valeur patrimoniale

Profitt Barn is valued for its age, construction method and integrity of original architectural elements.

The Profitt barn is one of the oldest barns in the community. The Profitt farm was once a 140-acre property held by William J. Profitt as recorded in J. H. Meacham and Co.'s 1880 Illustrated Historical Atlas of the Province of Prince Edward Island. It is believed the property had been owned by a Power family.

This barn was built approximately in 1900 with a straight pitched roof and underwent modifications in 1947. Then owner, William Profitt, his son Lloyd Profitt, and local carpenters Ralph Thompson and Ralph Heaney, modified the barn to increase storage capacity. The barn was lifted and turned a quarter turn, extended 18 feet, a new cement and sandstone foundation was constructed and a gambrel roof was added. Standing lumber was purchased at an auction, cut down and taken to the Long River mill to be prepared for use in the new construction. The larger raised gambrel roof provided more storage area for loose hay. This was a typical practice of Prince Edward Island farmers to increase storage capacity of their barns. The ventilator on the top of the roof aided in allowing air to circulate in the hay loft to prevent the hay from overheating. Shortly after 1947, William Profitt purchased the first hay baler in the Long River district. A long sloping field located behind the barn led to water damage to the building which was a factor in repositioning the barn and the addition of the foundation which is six feet taller on the north side of the structure. The foundation was constructed using 900 bags of cement mixed with sand and small sandstone rocks. The extended height of the foundation on the north side of the building deters water damage from spring and snow run off.

The barn was an integral component of the mixed farming operation, as it housed cattle, horses, pigs and chickens and was used for the storage of grains and hay. The barn continues to be an important building on the property which also includes a 1926 two-storey foursquare style farmhouse and a small, late 1930s, gambrel-roofed barn used for pigs and chickens and at one time housed foxes. The barn is a well-known landmark in its community and is often photographed by travellers in the area.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE
File #:4310-20/P44

Éléments caractéristiques

The heritage value of the barn is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the gambrel roof with overhang extension on the west end
- the wood frame construction
- the cement and stone foundation
- the placement of the doors
- the placement of the windows
- the series of regularly placed six-paned windows on the south elevation
- the cedar shingle cladding
- the roof ventilator
- the sliding barn door on the south elevation
- the hatch doors and double doors on the upper elevations
- the placement of the barn forming an integral component of the farm yard




Autorité de reconnaissance

Province de l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard

Loi habilitante

Heritage Places Protection Act

Type de reconnaissance

Endroit historique inscrit au répertoire

Date de reconnaissance


Données sur l'histoire

Date(s) importantes


Thème - catégorie et type

Économies en développement
Exploitation et production

Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction



Approvisionnements en vivres
Grange, écurie ou autre abri pour animaux

Architecte / Concepteur




Informations supplémentaires

Emplacement de la documentation

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE File #:4310-20/P44

Réfère à une collection

Identificateur féd./prov./terr.




Inscriptions associées



Recherche avancéeRecherche avancée
Trouver les lieux prochesTROUVER LES LIEUX PROCHES ImprimerIMPRIMER
Lieux proches