Marlborough Township Office
3048, Pierce Road, City of Ottawa, Ontario, K0A, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Built in 1855, the Marlborough Township Hall is a simple, one storey wood frame and clapboard structure. Located at 3048 Pierce Road in the former Township of Marlborough, the subsequent Township of Rideau and now the City of Ottawa, the Marlborough Township Hall was moved to this location in 1934.
Its front elevation and original internal structure are recognized for their heritage value by former Township of Rideau (now city of Ottawa) By-law 77/80.
The Marlborough Township Hall is the oldest municipal building in the former Township of Rideau. It was built in the fall of 1855 by Robert Mackey, for the Township of Marlborough, to accommodate community meetings and events. Its framing, a system of posts, beams and trusses, which supports the roof, while allowing a clear ceiling, is unusual for the period. The exterior is covered in clapboard, with baseboards and trim on the corners, eaves and gables. Each of the north and south side walls originally had three rectangular windows which were covered by simple wooden shutters.
Originally located some distance away, the hall was moved to its present location in 1934. At that time, a wooden porch with a gable roof was added to the front entrance, and one of the windows on the rear wall was transformed into another entrance, with a flat roof. In recent years, a flat roofed extension was added to the south side, covering the windows. The Hall continues to be a centre for the local community.
Sources: Former Township of Rideau By-law 77/80. City of Ottawa File XD001-XMM3200/0003411. LACAC Files (Rideau Archives, North Gower).
The character defining elements that define the heritage value of the Marlborough Township Hall include its:
- rectangular (24' by 48' footprint), medium pitch gable roof, and post and truss framing
- clapboard cladding with baseboards and trim at the corners, eaves, and gables
- three 12 pane double hung windows on the north side of the hall and including the wooden shutters
- gable roofed, clapboard front entrance and flat roofed rear entrance
- continuous use as a space for community meetings and events
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Community Organizations
Function - Category and Type
- Civic Space
- Town or City Hall
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Ottawa
110 Laurier Avenue West
Cross-Reference to Collection