Former Colin Macdonald House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
This early Centre Gable style house with Gothic Revival details is situated on the corner of Kent and Water Streets in Georgetown and faces the harbour. It has a symmetrical facade with central entrance door with sidelights and transom. The eaves have paired bracketting and a verandah runs across the facade.
This house is valued for its well preserved Gothic Revival architectural details and for its historical association with the family of Colin Macdonald. In 1833, the land for this house was purchased by Colin Macdonald (1781-1860) from the estate of Charles Worrell. By 1835, the house was constructed for his brother, Hugh Macdonald (1788-1857), who was living on Panmure Island. Colin and Hugh were two of fifteen children who had been born to Andrew and Isabella Macdonald who had emigrated from Inverness-shire Scotland early in the 19th century. They owned land on Panmure Island and became successful merchants and shipbuilders in Georgetown.
In his will, Colin left the residence to his three nephews, the sons of Hugh Macdonald. They were Andrew Archibald, Archibald John, and Austin (Augustine) Colin. All of them would go on to serve their community and nation in political affairs.
Andrew Archibald Macdonald was a member of the House of Assembly, a Father of Confederation, Lieutenant Governor and Senator. Archibald John served in the provincial legislature almost continuously from 1872 to 1911. Augustine Colin Macdonald was MP for King's County and eventually also a Lieutenant Governor of the province.
The home has remained in the Macdonald family ever since (often being passed down to female relatives) and was always used as a residence except for a time when a bank was located on the main floor in what is now the living room.
With its well preserved Gothic Revival style and association with prominent members of Georgetown, the house remains a landmark in the community.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/TR19
The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the wood frame construction and two-and-one-half storey massing
- the centre gable roofline
- the brick chimneys
- the paired brackets of the eaves
- the symmetrical facade with central entrance
- the transom and sidelights of the entrance
- the bay window
- the fenestration including the six-over-six windows and two-over-two windows
- the original hood moulding of the windows
- the flat roofed verandah across the facade with decorative brackets and posts
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/TR19
Cross-Reference to Collection