Description of Historic Place
The Baccaro Point Lighthouse consists of a square, tapered wooden tower, topped by a red octagonal lantern. The lighthouse is a simple and well-proportioned wood-frame structure with clapboard cladding, modest classical trim on window and door openings, and a prominent, straight cornice. It is located on the southernmost tip of Baccaro Point, on Nova Scotia’s south shore. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Baccaro Point Lighthouse is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
The Baccaro Point Lighthouse is a very good example of the theme of aids to navigation on the southern coast of Nova Scotia. The lighthouse was built in 1934 as a replacement to an earlier structure dating from 1850 that was destroyed by fire. The lighthouse functions as a coastal light and is part of a chain of lighthouses along the southwest coast of Nova Scotia that runs from Seal Island to Shelburne Harbour. The lighthouse is directly associated with two light keepers who were of importance to the local community, Trueman Nickerson and Brenton Reynolds.
The Baccaro Point Lighthouse is a good example of the square, tapered, wooden lighthouse type that was widely used throughout Canada after Confederation. It is a simple, well-proportioned tower with modest classical trim and a prominent, straight cornice. The lighthouse has functioned as a coastal light since its original construction and presents good functional qualities. Built to a standard plan prepared by the Department of Marine and Fisheries, the lighthouse is characterized by good quality of workmanship and materials and it is in a good state of preservation.
Bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, just above sea level and surrounded by a flat grassland and bog, the Baccaro Point Lighthouse is compatible with the isolated maritime character of the area. It is noticeably overshadowed by the construction of the nearby North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) station built in 1957 for the installation of a radar system. Some buildings were added to the site and subsequently removed, but the relationship between the lighthouse and its site was retained. The lighthouse is a familiar landmark for mariners and the local community.
Sources: GeoCognition, Light Tower, Baccaro Point (DFRP 02293), Municipality of the District Barrington, Shelburne County, Nova Scotia, Federal Heritage Building Report, 05-195; Heritage Character Statement, 05-195.
The character-defining elements of the Baccaro Point Lighthouse should be respected.
Its role as an illustration of the theme of aids to navigation, as reflected in:
- its standard-plan lighthouse design;
- its position as part of a chain of lighthouses on the southern shore of Nova Scotia.
Its good aesthetic design, good functional design, and its good quality craftsmanship and materials, as reflected in:
- its simple square, tapered profile and good proportions;
- its prominent, straight, unadorned cornice;
- its square platform enclosed by metal railings and supporting the red octagonal lantern;
- its wood construction sided with white clapboard cladding and corner boards;
- its two windows placed one above the other and its gabled door featuring classical trim detailing.
The manner in which the building is compatible with the maritime character of the area and its landmark value, as evidenced in:
- its isolated location on a low shoreline against a background consisting of a flat grassland on the southernmost tip of Baccaro Point;
- its recognizable silhouette, typical of squared tapered lighthouses.