Home / Accueil

Église Saint-Pierre-aux-Liens

213 St-Pierre Boulevard West, Caraquet, New Brunswick, E1W, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2005/01/01

Side angle view of the church illustrating the original Gothic fenêtrage. ; PNB 2004
Side angle view of the church
Rear view of the church showing a stone shelter at the side exterior door.; PNB 2004
Rear view of the church
Front view of the church facade illustrating the iron bell tower, Gothic style door arch and bull’s eye stained glass window. ; PNB 2005
Front facade of the church

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1857/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2005/01/18

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Église Saint-Pierre-aux-Liens is a Roman Catholic church built of sandstone located at 213 St. Pierre Blvd. West in Caraquet, N.B.

Heritage Value

The Église Saint-Pierre-aux-Liens Provincial Historic Site was built in the Neoclassical style in 1857 with stones sawn by Amice Duval, a carpenter/contractor originally from St. Peter on the Island of Jersey. The plans for the church were drawn up by Matthew Stead, a well-known architect from Saint John, New Brunswick. It is among the oldest stone churches in New Brunswick. The church was designed and built to be a very prominent feature in the institutional center of the town. Its monumental nature, relative to its community context, attests to the importance of places of worship as spiritual centres and community focuses for New Brunswick Acadians then and now. Source: New Brunswick Culture and Sport Secretariat, Heritage Branch, Site File # 97.

Character-Defining Elements

Exterior character-defining elements include: - location on the main street as the centre of an institutional complex taking in the presbytery, the old cemetery, the ruins of the old Convent of the Congregation of Notre-Dame, and the location of the former Sacré-Coeur College. - building dimensions 42.67 m by 18.77 m (140 feet by 60 feet); - stone shelters at the side exterior doors added after 1920; - exterior door arches in Gothic style; - made of sawn sandstone from quarries in Grande-Anse, New Brunswick; - bell tower constructed of iron; - original Gothic fenestration; - bull’s eye stained glass window representing St. Peter installed in 1956.; Interior character-defining elements include: - gallery on the north, south, and west sides, and a second level on the west side only; - wood columns with the original faux marble painting; - high altar from the first stone church in Caraquet sculpted by Thomas Baillargé of Quebec, circa 1821; - original pulpit; - period pews; - painting of St. Peter in Chains by Joseph Légaré in 1820; - stations of the cross dating from 1947 by master sculptor Médard Bourgault of St-Jean-Port-Joli, Quebec; - Casavant organ purchased in 1901; - two richly sculpted holy water fonts dating from the mid-19th century.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Province of New Brunswick

Recognition Statute

Historic Sites Protection Act, s. 2(2)

Recognition Type

Historic Sites Protection Act – Protected

Recognition Date

2005/01/01

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions
Building Social and Community Life
Education and Social Well-Being
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Community
Cultural Space

Architect / Designer

Matthew Stead

Builder

Amice Duval

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

New Brunswick Culture and Sport Secretariat, Heritage Branch, Site File # 97.

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

97

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places