Wellesley Township Hall
4805, William Hastings Line, Township of Wellesley, Ontario, N0B, Canada
Wellesley Township Hall
Township of Wellesley Council Chambers
4805 William Hastings Line
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The building at 4805 William Hastings Line, commonly known as the Wellesley Township Hall, is situated north of the intersection of William Hastings Line and Hutchison Road in the Township of Wellesley. This one-storey rubble stone clad building was designed in the Classical Revival style and was constructed in 1855.
The property was designated for its heritage value by the Township of Wellesley under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 66-87).
The Wellesley Township Hall has long been recognized as one of the most historically significant buildings in the Township of Wellesley. The Hall was constructed in 1855 after 35 ratepayers petitioned the council to move the Township Hall from Hawkesville to the more centrally located Village of Crosshill in the spring of 1853. The council met in Hawkesville from the time of the Township's founding in 1852, until this building was completed in November 1855. The building has since served the area as a community hall, a place for church services by several denominations, a venue for farmers' institute meetings, as well as a council chamber. In this last function, it becomes the oldest municipal building in the Region of Waterloo still in use today.
The Wellesley Township Hall is a good example of vernacular styling, with its pediment gable and turned porch posts. It is built of rough rubble stone, with very simple detailing. In the summer of 1973, an addition was put on the back of the Hall and the original portion of the building was restored.
Sources: Township of Wellesley, By-law 66-87; Press Release, Township of Wellesley, LACAC Advisory Committee, Debby Kroetsch; Waterloo Historical Society, “Wellesley Township Hall is Restored”, Marg Rowell, Vol. 61, 1973.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Wellesley Township Hall include its:
- south façade facing Regional Road 5 with rubble stone cladding and three bays
- east elevation of the original 1855 building facing Township Road 12
- west elevation of the original 1855 building
- entire roof
- boxed cornice with return and clapboard pediment
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1973/01/01 to 1973/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Government and Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Office or office building
- Town or City Hall
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Township of Wellesley Office
4639 Lobsinger Line, R.R. 1
St. Clements, Ontario
Cross-Reference to Collection