Home / Accueil

Esquimalt Naval Sites National Historic Site of Canada

Esquimalt, British Columbia, V9A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1995/11/24

Aerial view of Esquimalt Naval Sites, showing the view facing north, 2001.; Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 2001.
Aerial view
Aerial view of Esquimalt Naval Sites, showing the location and siting, ringing Esquimalt harbour, 2001.; Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 2001.
Aerial view
No Image

Other Name(s)

Esquimalt Naval Sites
Sites navals d'Esquimalt
Esquimalt Naval Sites National Historic Site of Canada

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1855/01/01 to 1966/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/05/13

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Esquimalt Naval Sites National Historic Site of Canada is a historic district that incorporates four important naval station sites forming a ring around Esquimalt harbour, British Columbia. These are Her Majesty’s Canadian (HMC) Dockyard, the former Royal Navy Hospital, the Veterans’ Cemetery and the Cole Island Magazine. Official recognition refers to all these sites and the associated historic resources they contain.

Heritage Value

The Esquimalt Naval Sites were designated a national historic site of Canada in 1995 because:
- they contain a wealth of built resources, unique among Canadian military bases and sites, and they represent a continuum of defence themes, from the Imperial defence period, through the creation of the Royal Canadian Navy, to Canadian naval institutions in wartime and as a member of post-war alliances;
- they are in homogeneous groupings which promote a distinctive sense of place, and the Royal Navy Dockyard compound is a rare surviving, largely intact, example of the many 18th- and 19th-century Admiralty bases which once circled the globe;
- they illustrate the range of facilities required for the operation of an Imperial naval station headquarters and successor operations of the Canadian Navy.

The heritage value of Esquimalt Naval Sites National Historic Site of Canada lies in the range and richness of the naval history illustrated by the site, setting, and the built and landscaped forms of the four components. While each has value as a homogenous grouping with a distinctive sense of place, together their distinctive design, forms, materials, functional priorities and technologies reflect a complete and legible record of the development of Canada’s Pacific naval experience.

HMC Dockyard was established by the British Royal Navy in 1865 and has, since then, been the heart of Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Esquimalt. Today it has two major sub-areas: the 12 hectares (30 acres) developed by the British Royal Navy before 1906, and a second section developed by the Royal Canadian Navy during the Second World War era and consistently expanded and rebuilt by the Department of Public Works and the Royal Canadian Navy. The other components in this historic district include the former Royal Navy Hospital (built 1860s, rebuilt 1887-1901, 1929), the Veterans’ Cemetery (established in 1868, expanded 1901, 1960s), and the Cole Island Magazine (established 1859, expanded 1887-1904, retired 1938).

Sources: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minute, 1995, 2000; Commemorative Integrity Statement, July 2000.

Character-Defining Elements

Elements key to the heritage value of this site include:
- the location and siting, ringing Esquimalt harbour;
- the legibility of each of the four component sites with an individual and distinctive identity (ship repair and West Coast military headquarters, medical compound, contemplative resting place, guard and munitions establishment);
- the completeness of each component site with its range of historic resources, orientated to a central function;
- legibility of the layers of expansion exhibited within each individual complex;
- legibility of the layers of development as reflected in the design, forms, construction materials and techniques of buildings and structures typical of 1850s, 1885, 1937-1941, 1942-1945, and 1945-1995 construction periods;
- the different forms and spaces of cemetery gravestones and monuments linked to these periods;
- the consistent location of core functional areas in each complex over time;
- the surviving archaeological remnants of previous facilities and activities in their locations, forms and materials;
- the core circulation routes and landscaped areas in their locations, extent, design and materials, as defining features of each complex;
- the spatial relationships within the individual and among the four district sites;
- the continuity of the nature and location of long-term plants and trees, particularly in the cemetery;
- the specific natural geographic features impacting the definition and development of each individual site, including the secure natural dockyard harbour, the shallow harbour and vulnerable strategic placement of Cole Harbour, and the cemetery’s rolling open countryside;
- viewscapes to Esquimalt Harbour and the Strait of Juan de Fuca from each of these sites.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Federal

Recognition Authority

Government of Canada

Recognition Statute

Historic Sites and Monuments Act

Recognition Type

National Historic Site of Canada

Recognition Date

1995/11/24

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1855/01/01 to 1966/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Defence
Military Base

Architect / Designer

British Royal Navy

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

856

Status

Published

Related Places

Side view

Guard House Building 38

CFB Esquimalt, Guardhouse, Building 38 is a well-proportioned, one-storey, tan brick structure composed of projecting end units, a recessed central entry, and a hipped roof. The…

Exterior photo

Building D70

Building D70 is a classically inspired, symmetrical, two-storey brick structure featuring a prominent, central entrance bay flanked by two bays on each side, a flat roof, a…

Exterior view

Building D175

Building D175 is a classically inspired one-storey, sandstone and concrete block building consisting of three attached gabled units arranged in a linear fashion, with a prominent…

Exterior photo

Building D214

Building D214 is a modern, asymmetrical, reinforced concrete building with a flat roof that consists of two blocks, one of which is a rectilinear block with a shallow projecting…

Exterior view

Building D83

Classically inspired, Building D83 is a large, symmetrical, three-storey brick structure featuring brick pilasters that divide the elevations into multiple bays, broad pilasters…

Side view

CFB Esquimalt, Dockyard, Aldergrove Building, DY 199

The CFB Esquimalt, Dockyard, Aldergrove Building, DY 199, located on an outcropping of land overlooking Juan de Fuca Strait, is a three-storey building designed in the…

Panorama

CFB Esquimalt, Bickford Tower, Building D118

CFB Esquimalt, Bickford Tower, Building # D118 stands on Grant Knoll, a commanding position overlooking Esquimalt Harbour. It is a four-storey, lighthouse-like, octagonal brick…

Front View

Naden, Museum Square, Building No. 35

CFB Esquimalt, Naden, Museum Square, Building No. 35, a single storey, brick structure located in the former hospital complex, is united to two other buildings by a covered…

Back

Protestant Chapel Building 39

Overlooking Esquimalt harbour and opposite a courtyard, Building No.39 Protestant Chapel, is a one-storey, long, rectangular, brick structure of low massing with a hipped-roof,…

General view

Stores / Museum Warehouse, Building 29

Building No. 29 Stores Building stands at the base of a low cliff within Canadian Forces Base, Esquimalt. The long, low, one-storey building is a rectangular, brick structure with…

Exterior photo

Building D75-D76

CFB Esquimalt, Dockyard, Rum Stores, Salt Meat Stores, Building D75-D76 is situated on the main road through the Dockyard at Esquimalt. It consists of two adjoining, rectangular,…

Exterior photo

Building D211

CFB Esquimalt, Dockyard, Clothing and Receiving Stores Building D211, a monolithic flat-roofed, concrete structure, occupies a site on Hospital Road opposite the main gatehouse.…

Exterior photo

Building D80, former Cordage / Furniture Stores Recognized Federal Heritage Building

Building D80, a two-storey, elongated block with a gable roof, is one of a group of larger Dockyard buildings clustered on low ground near the water’s edge. It is constructed in…

General view

Building D51

CFB Esquimalt, Dockyard, Factory, Building D51 is located on Hospital Road, the main road through the Dockyard at Esquimalt. It is a composite structure with irregular massing…

Exterior view

Building D1

CFB Esquimalt, Dockyard, Chief Engineer’s and Base Commander’s House, Building D1 is the only residence on a large, formally landscaped area set back from one of the dockyard's…

Exterior photo

Building D26

CFB Esquimalt, Dockyard, Royal Navy Prison, Building D26 is situated on a sloping site on Hospital Road, the main road through the Dockyard at Esquimalt. It is a rectangular,…

Exterior Picture

Former Married Privates' Quarters, Building 523

The Former Married Privates’ Quarters, Building 523, is situated on the main road leading to the naval dockyard. The red brick and masonry structure is a one-and-a-half-storey,…

Corner view

Former Armament Artificer's and Sergeant's Quarters, Building 522

The Former Armament Artificer's and Sergeant's Quarters is situated on the road leading to the naval dockyard. The building is a red brick, two-storey, rectangular structure with…

Exterior view

Signal Hill No. 508

Signal Hill: No. 508 forms the northern boundary of a small industrial courtyard on a flat site on Signal Hill. The building is a large two-storey, rectangular, gabled-roofed,…

General view of the place

Naden, Building Nos. 33, 33A, 33B

CFB Esquimalt, Naden, Building Nos. 33, 33A, 33B is a large, brick military structure located on a sloping site bounded by open paved areas. Its modern-classical design with a…

Exterior view

Building D109

Building D109 is situated on a sloping site at the end of Hospital Road, the main road through the Dockyard at Esquimalt. It is an elongated rectangular, two-storey, flat roofed,…

Exterior photo

Warehouse Building D85

Building D85 is a large, functional brick building with a gable roof, located on the shore of Constance Cove and surrounded by the City of Victoria. Its rectangular form features…

General view

Building D38

The Stone Frigate, Building D38, a two-storey, gable-roofed, stone building, sits in an isolated area of the Dockyard on high ground. Two small, single-storey annexes are attached…

Exterior photo

Veterans' Cemetery Chapel

The Veterans’ Cemetery Chapel, a modest chapel of simple and functional design, is a dignified place of worship located in the pastoral setting of the Veterans’ Cemetery. Its…

General view

Shipwrights' Shed / Spar Shed, Building D113

The Shipwrights' Shed / Spar Shed, Building D113, an elongated one-storey, gable roofed brick structure, is located on a sloping site and is one of a group of Dockyard buildings…

Exterior view

Gun Emplacement, Building 578

Gun Emplacement No. 578 is strategically located on the southern brow of Signal Hill overlooking Esquimalt Harbour. The partially subterranean structure has low massing that is…

Façade

Building 34

Building 34 is a large, steel and concrete building typical of early modern structures built for military residential purposes. It is utilitarian in design and displays modest…

Corner view

Naden Museum Square, Building 20

Building 20, part of Naden Museum Square in Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt, also known as the Former Officer’s Ward, stands back from a road, and faces a formal lawn and gardens.…

Rear view

Naden Museum Square, Building 37

Building 37, part of Naden Museum Square in Canadian Forces Base Esqiumalt, also known as the Administration Building, is a single storey, brick structure located in the former…

Detail

Pump House

Located on the north side of the Esquimalt Graving Dock, the Pump House, also known as Building 1, is a large, rectangular building constructed of brick on a concrete foundation.…

View from north

Cole Island

Cole Island is a low-lying, partially-treed, 0.6 hectare island in Esquimalt Harbour, west of downtown Victoria. It is located close to the active Esquimalt naval base, which it…

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places